The Voronezh State Nature Biosphere Reserve is a specially protected natural area of federal significance. These are especially valuable areas of nature, their territories are completely protected from economic activities and the effects of civilization.
The Voronezh Reserve is one of the oldest reserves in Russia, created in 1923. Its area is 31 thousand hectares.
The reserve lands are federal property. In order to manage this territory, the Federal State Budgetary Organization "V. Peskov Voronezh State Nature Biosphere Reserve" was founded, which is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of Russian Federation.
Why do the reserves exist?
There are two main goals. The first is to provide a refuge for wild species, where they can live naturally. The second goal is scientific, taking advantage of the strictly protected regime, to study the natural course of natural processes.
Protection of the natural sites on the territory of the Reserve as well as in the Voronezhsky sanctuary and the Kamennaya Steppe sanctuary is implemented by The State environment protection inspectors and a special task force.
The Nature Protection Division staff:
The Director of the reserve - the Chief State Inspector of the territory protection;
The Deputy Director of the territory protection – the Deputy of the Chief State Inspector of the territory protection;
he Major State Inspectors of the territory protection;
The Precinct State Inspector of the territory protection;
The State inspectors of the territory protection.
The Code of Administrative Offences of The Russian Federation (CoAO) and the Federal law “On Specially Protected Natural Areas " provides to state inspectors of the federal executive power body exercising the functions of control over arrangement and functioning of specially protected natural areas the following rights to:
1. Carry out a delivery (compulsory conveyance) ofa natural person for the purpose of drawing up a report (if it cannot be drawn up at the place) to the official premises of an internal affairs body (police) or to any other official premises (Article 27.2. of the CoAO).
2. Carry out a personal examination and examination of items for the purpose of detecting instruments or subjects of an administrative offence (Article 27.7. of the CoAO).
3. Carry out an inspection of a transport vehicle, that is, an examination of a transport vehicle (Article 27.9. of the CoAO): shall be carried out for the purpose of detecting instruments used in committing, or subjects of, an administrative offence.
4. Carry out the inspection of Premises and Territories, as Well as of Things and Documents Situated Therein, Which Are Owned by a Legal Entity or by an Individual Businessman (Article 27.8. of CoAO).
5. Carry out a seizure of Things and Documents (Article 27.10. of the CoAO). Article 34 of the Federal law "On Specially Protected Natural Areas" (FL “On SPNA”) establishes the rights of the State Inspectors of the territory protection to “withdraw from law breakers, who have broken the law in strictly protected natural areas of the Russian Federation, products and instruments of illegal wildlife usage, vehicles and relevant documents”.
6. Carry out an arrest of Goods, Transport Vehicles and Other Items which are instruments used in committing, or subjects of, an administrative offence (Article 27.9. of the CoAO).
7. Draw Up Records of Administrative Offences (Article 28.3 of the CoAO):
- provided for by Article 8.39 of the CoAO (Violating the Rules for Protecting, and Use of, Natural Resources in Areas under Special Protection);
- provided for by Part 1 of Article 19.4 of the Administrative Offence Code of the Russian Federation (Failure to Follow the Lawful Order of an Official of a Body Exercising State Supervision (Control));
- provided for by Part 1 of Article 19.5 of the CoAO (Failure to Follow in Due Time a Lawful Direction of an Official, Exercising State Supervision (Control));
- provided for of Article 19.7 of the CoAO (Failure to Submit Data (Information) of which the submission is provided for by law).
8. Carry out a ruling prescribing the institution of proceedings in a case concerning an administrative offence and conducting an administrative investigation (Article 28.7 of the CoAO).
9. Check (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”):
- the documents that allow to stay within the territory of the reserve;
- the documents that allow to carry out activities in the sphere of natural resource usage and other activities in the reserve and within the adjacent buffer zone.
10. Apprehend people within the reserve and its buffer zone, who have broken the laws of the Russian Federation in strictly protected natural areas (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”).
11. Pay unchecked visits to any sites of reserves, national parks and their protected areas in order to ensure the compliance with the legislation of the Russian Federation in strictly protected natural areas (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”).
12. On duty (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”):
- use special means - handcuffs, truncheons, tear gas, devices for forceful stoppage of vehicles and dogs in due course;
- carry, possess and use firearms in the discharge of their duties.
13. Enjoy all the rights of the officials of The State Forest Protection Department and other federal executive authority in environmental protection (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”).
Rights of the officials of The State Forest Protection Department provided for of Article 77 of the Forestry Code of the Russian Federation and the Regulation on The State Forest Protection Department of the Russian Federation ratified by Government Decision No.150 of 20.03.2006.
Rights of the officials (The State inspectors) of other federal executive authority in environmental protection are established in:
- Article 66 Federal Law “On Protection of Environment” of 10.01.2012 № 7-FZ;
- Article 31 Federal Law “On the Wildlife” of 24.04.1995 №52-FZ.
14. Try cases on the administrative offences provided for by Article 8.39 of the CoAO (Violating the Rules for Protecting, and Use of, Natural Resources in Areas under Special Protection).
15. Sue natural and juridical persons.
16. Prohibit carrying out economic or any other activities that contradict to the objectives of the reserve and the rules of the strictly protected area (Article 34 FL “On SPNA”).
17. Submit materials on violating the legislation of the Russian Federation in strictly protected natural areas to law enforcement authorities, in cases which are provided by the current law.