Short course modules
- abiotic conditions of VSNBR (climate, relief, hydrographic network);
- flora and fauna of VSNBR;
- edaphic conditions of growth of the Usman forest;
- the system of measures for the conservation of species diversity
1. Reserve Structure : the main departments
2. Introduction to the territory of the Reserve. “Protected Usmansky Pine Forest” exposition in the Museum of Nature of the Reserve.
3-4. Visits to the Ecological Turtle Path. Flora and fauna of the reserve.
5. Visits to the Beaver Town. Participation in animal care as a volunteer.
6. General study of the hydrological regimes of the Usman river and streams.
7. Ecosystem activity of the beaver (dam system on the Marev creek).
8. Visits to the Forest Fires Museum. Fire detection system and fire-killed tracts in the Usmansky Pine Forest (excursion).
9. Forest Managment. Permanent sample plots of the reserve.
10. Excursion to the Kostenki Paleolithic site on the Don river.
SHORT INTENSIVE COURSES
Before and during the internship students will be trained on the specific topics / methodologies related to the internship programme by “short intensive courses” organised by the hosting institution and online courses provided by the TAURUS consortium.
Course title: BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY OF THE RESERVE AND PROBLEMS OF ITS CONSERVATION
Linked to the Internship programme: VSU_03
Academic coordinator: Prof. Tatiana A. Deviatova
Duration: 4 days
Gives an overview of the environmental conditions of the Voronezh nature reserve and the system of measures to preserve species diversity.
General introduction: Environmental conditions of the Voronezh nature reserve
Module 1: Abiotic conditions of Voronezh reserve (climate, relief, hydrographic network); (4 hours)
Lecturer A: Prof. Tatiana A. Deviatova - Head of the Department of Ecology and Land Resources, Medicine and biology Faculty of Voronezh State University, DSc in biology, Voronezh, Russian Federation
Lecturer B: Anton Belik - PhD (biology), Docent of the Department of Ecology and Land Resources, Medicine and biology Faculty of Voronezh State University, DSc in biology, Voronezh, Russian Federation
Module 2: Flora and fauna of Voronezh reserve (6 hours including practice)
Lecturer: Dr. Igor I. Vorobyov - PhD (biology), Chief specialist in development of the Voronezh reserve, Voronezh, Russian Federation
Module 3: Usman forest edaphic conditions (4 hours including practice)
Lecturer: Docent Liliia Alaeva, Docent of the Department of Ecology and Land Resources, Medicine and biology Faculty of Voronezh State University", PhD (biology),Voronezh, Russian Federation
Module 4: The system of measures for the conservation of species diversity (4 hours)
Lecturer: Dr. Igor I. Vorobyov - PhD (biology), Chief specialist in development of the Voronezh reserve,Voronezh, Russian Federation
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES
knowledge and understanding
- knowledge of specific features of forest soil formation;
- understanding of the system and basic principles of conservation of species diversity of ecosystems of protected areas
applying knowledge and understanding
- collaborate on the selection of the best measures for the conservation of species diversity
- collaborate on the development of monitoring objects of protected areas
- evaluate the results of survey and monitoring activities of protected areas
- writing a group short report about measures to preserve species diversity in protected areas
- preparation of a group presentation on the environmental conditions of the Voronezh reserve
- reading and understanding the international scientific literatures in the field of protected area management
The course is structured on 4 hours lectures per day on the program topics, for a total of 16 hours. Additional 4 hours will be devoted to the working with herbarium and insect collection and on-line visit to the soil the museum.
The assessment will be based on the evaluation of the summary report and presentation.